We were hoping for a weather miracle, and we got it! Despite a bleak weather forecast, the 2013 MidAtlantic District Championship went off without any serious weather events, just a 50 minute weather delay around 4:00p. In fact, most of the day brought calm waters, minimal wind…all-around great rowing conditions! And our athletes took advantage from the very beginning.
The Novice Men’s 4+ continued their dominating performance from Long Island and captured the best time in their heat, nearly 10 seconds faster than the winning time in the next heat. They went on to grab the second place medal in the final despite racing two other races that day. Both Women’s and Men’s 2nd 4+ raced hard in very competitive heats, finishing 4th and 5th, respectively.
The Men’s Lightweight 4+ took first in their heat and was more than 3 seconds over the next fastest time in both heats. They would go on to capture 3rd place in the finals, giving them a bronze medal and qualifying them for Nationals. Similarly, the Men’s Heavyweight Varsity 4+ took first in their heat, besting the next fastest time in both heats by 5 seconds. They would go on to capture second in the finals, also qualifying them for National competition. Both Men’s 2nd 8+ and Women’s Novice 8+ fought hard, rowing to a 4th place finish in their heat, while the Men’s Novice 8+ grabbed fifth. The Men’s Varsity 8+ tried hard to make the final, but a very tough field yielded them 4th place.
Both Women’s Pairs medaled – Rose Carr/Tara Carr, Julia Baumel/Anna Wertz, taking 2nd and 3rd place, respectively, and both qualifying for Nationals. Men’s Pair Nathan Smith/Phil Claudy also took second in their final, qualifying them for Nationals, as well. Women’s Novice 4+ despite never rowing the line-up before, rowed a great race and finished fifth in their heat.
A great surprise of the day was the Women’s Lightweight 4+ who had never raced that lineup before, capturing 3rd place and qualifying them for Nationals. The Women’s 2nd 8+ went on to grab a third-place medal in their final, as well. Finally, Men’s 2nd Novice 8+ in a very competitive heat grabbed 4th.
A summary of the day’s racing included –
- Men’s Youth Novice 4+ – 1st in heat, 2nd in final (medal)
- Women’s Youth 2nd 4+ – 4th in heat
- Men’s Youth 2nd 4+ – 5th in heat
- Men’s Lightweight Varsity 4+ – 1st in heat, 3rd in final (medal, Nationals qualification)
- Men’s Varsity 4+ – 1st in heat, 2nd in final (medal, Nationals qualification)
- Men’s 2nd 8+ – 4th in heat
- Women’s Novice 8+ – 4th in heat
- Men’s Novice 8+ – 5th in heat
- Men’s Varsity 8+ – 4th in heat
- Women’s Pair – 2nd and 3rd in final (medals, Nationals qualification)
- Men’s Pair – 2nd in final (medal, Nationals qualification)
- Women’s Lightweight 4+ – 3rd in final (medal, Nationals qualification)
- Women’s 2nd 8+ – 3rd in final (medal)
- Men’s 2nd Novice 8+ – 4th in heat
Athlete Charge for Nationals – $447
Again, many thanks to Barry Smith for recording this special weekend for our club, athletes, and families.