Two Squads With Top Ten Times, Four Squads Ranked in Top 20 at 2013 Youth National Rowing Championships!
By mid-afternoon on Sunday, June 9, 2013, when racing had wrapped-up at Melton Lake, in Oak Ridge, TN, Newport Rowing Club could claim four (4) nationally ranked crews – Men’s Lightweight 4+ (8th), Men’s Heavy 4+ (15th), Women’s Pair (16th), and Women’s Lightweight 4+ (17th).
According to Head Coach John Cohn, “I am very proud of how our athletes performed this weekend. This year was our biggest group of athletes who qualified and competed at Nationals. For some of our athletes it was a successful ending to a fulfilling high school rowing career while for our younger rowers it marked the beginning of a very promising and exciting competitive experience. Among our newest athletes who made the trip to Nationals, two were novices and one got her start in our summer camp just last summer.”
As with every race there are always anomalies. Although the Heavy Men’s 4+ made the C Finals, their overall time ended up being Top 10. Coach Cohn added, “The C Finals for the Heavy 4+s actually ended up being faster than the B, or Petite, Finals. Watching the race, you could see that each of the squads on any given day could have been a top contender. Even the announcer commented that the speed and quality of rowing in the C Final was impressive. By the end of the race, our Heavy 4+’s time was faster than four teams in the B Final and 1 team in the Grand Final.”
Representing Newport Rowing Club at USRowing’s 2013 Youth Nationals were-
- Rose Carr (Newark Charter 8th grade)
- Tara Carr (Conrad Schools of Science freshman)
Lightweight Women’s 4+
- Jennifer Collins (Unionville High School freshman)
- Leah Mayfield (Padua Academy sophomore)
- Julia Baumel (Kennett High School junior, Women’s Varsity co-captain)
- Alyson Kerrigan (Ursuline Academy junior)
- Erin Mullen (Padua Academy senior)
Lightweight Men’s 4+
- Jennifer Beauchamp (Unionville High School freshman)
- Nicholas Malchione (Salesianum School junior, Men’s Varsity co-captain)
- Jake Weltz (Unionville High School senior)
- Justin Best (Unionville High School sophomore)
- Patrick Collins (Unionville High School senior)
Heavy Men’s 4+
- Maggie Simpson (Unionville High School senior)
- Nathan Smith (Unionville High School senior, Men’s Varsity co-captain)
- Michael Glaude (Salesianum School junior)
- Phil Claudy (Salesianum School junior)
- Joe Stockburger (Salesianum School junior)
Congratulation athletes! We are very proud of you.
Make sure you check out the photos of the weekend’s completion. There are almost 500!